It has been a long time since I painted any toy soldiers properly. A very long time. So long, in fact, that I have entirely lost track of when I last did it. This is a bad thing.
This may seem peculiar for a game designer who works with miniatures on a daily basis, but that’s also a major part of the reason. Armies/warbands/gangs/etc of miniatures are a stock in trade for me. Some of the time I’m working on video games and other times board games, but a sizable portion of my work is with tabletop games. Without exception, these need me to work with several armies at once, without being partisan about their relative merits and skipping from one to the other and back before I have any chance of painting a whole force. If I collect one army out of half a dozen then it’s harder to be impartial when I balance the game. Couple this with the inevitable fact that often the models aren’t made when I am writing the game or army list that goes with them, and the fact that I’m a very slow painter and you can start to see the problem. However, I’ve decided that this isn’t acceptable.
I do own more than half a dozen painted armies for Warhammer, a bunch of gangs for various skirmish games and so on. However, the ones I painted myself long since ended up on Ebay, and what I have left are playtest armies acquired ready painted from various disparate sources. These armies stand in for whatever I’m working on, and do me good service, though none of them feel like “my army”. They’re just tools for the job.
When your hobby is also your work it gets easily muddled, and so this is really me attempting to regain some of my hobby and to separate the two a little more. It’d be nice to have an army of my own again 🙂
So, with all this in mind, I’m setting out to clear my painting desk again. I’m going to relearn my old skills and add some new ones. And, while I’m about it, I’m going to document it here.
My first step is illustrated above; I now have some Hull Red. Now I can paint anything 🙂