Amazons on Amazon

One thing I’ve mentioned a few times, is how long it can take between me finishing a project and it seeing the light of day. So, it’s good to be able to finally talk a little about Tribes of Legend, which has just been put up for pre-order on Amazon.

ToL is a collection of 3 different games together with painting guides, scenery building, and all the extra gaming goodness you might expect. The setting is the world of the Ancient Greeks, but as they viewed it rather than as you will see in academic texts. This means that armies include drunken centaurs and lithe Amazons as well as the bronze-clad warriors of the city states.

Of the three games, one is a mass battle game, one a skirmish between groups of a few warriors, and the last is a solo game in the ethos of the old Fighting Fantasy game books (though it is entirely different rules).

Foundry have done a complete new range of models to go with this, and one of the reasons this has taken a while is that it is illustrated with nicely-painted examples of the range throughout. This means that it’s a very pretty book, helped along by rather splendid art alike you see on the cover.

The release date is still a bit up in the air (I’m told that Amazon made up the one online). This is because it is on the slow boat from China (literally) as I type. Once it’s arrived and cleared customs then they’ll decide. Soon though.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Amazons on Amazon

1. JP says:

This looks very interesting and has been added to my ever extensive wish list. As you know I love fantasy gaming, but I am especially drawn to ‘Greek’ style humans (Jason and the Argonauts, Clash Of The Titans, 300, etc). To this end I was building a Greek themed army for Mantics Kings Of War and the beauty now is I will be able to use this in games of Tribes of Legends.

And a solo FF style game… genius!

Congrats on what looks to be another great game, Jake.

Cheers
    JP

2. Elromanozo says:

Looking forward to seeing this in more detail !
    I’ve always thought there were too few good games and miniatures themed around Greek myths.

3. Sami Mahmoud says:

Is this the previously hinted mass-battle ruleset?

3 games at that price point is definitely something I can buy just to satisfy my curiosity (I even flipped you up to “highest” priority πŸ˜‰ )

Yes and no, and thank you (in that order).

Every time I look at the Amazon page they’ve made it cheaper. And yes, 3 games for this price ain’t bad. Assuming, of course, they’re not rubbish πŸ˜‰

• Sami Mahmoud says:

So you have another mass-battle ruleset waiting to manifest somewhere along the line, which may bear some resemblance to this one?

Even if it’s rubbish, I won’t have spent Β£70 πŸ˜‰ Aside from that, I like games design in general so the value for me isn’t necessarily in the quality of the game πŸ™‚

Well put. See, I can communicate when I want to ;P

I suppose you could say that this mass battle set was, in some ways, a proof of principle as well as a fun game. It deals with a realtively small range of different armies (I can’t recall exactly how many – 5 or 6?) with relatively few troop types in each and so was an easier subject than a full-blown fantasy game.

4. Davey says:

Sounds great – will add this to the Christmas list πŸ™‚ Amazon always make up release dates, a book I’ve edited has jumped around a few times with little reflection of the actual publication schedule!

There is another one coming out, possibly before this, called Condottiere, also by Foundry. I didn’t write that (Frank Chadwick did), though I was asked to do some development as well as editing it. That’s an idiosyncratic, and rather characterful, slightly old style set of Italian Wars mass battle rules. Phew, got it all in one sentence πŸ™‚

• “The need for cunning and deceit” makes it sound interesting…. This sticking to one thing might be harder than I thought.

Stay on target… stay on target…

• Looking at the rules summary I think I might buy the book but not any minis as I am not that in to having painting as my primary hobby. I want to do fantasy skirmish in a semi anarchy environment with the score measured in money so it seems that the Condottiere rules could be mined for ideas and methods for working towards my goal. The setup for recruiting also might be useful. The conversations on game design I was waiting for seem to be slow developing.(hint) I guess my approach is a bit backward from the norm by deciding on game type, skill requirements, game length and scope of game and then looking for the best solutions for getting there. I guess I didn’t think it through that it really puts me a game designer mode and in that realm you have a vast amount of knowledge and experience compared to me. My experience is measured in months while you have years of experience to work with. I have to assume that you learned something during those years as I am not qualified to make a judgement call on that. πŸ˜›

It sounds as though the bit of Condottiere that you would find most useful would be the campaign section. I’m not sure how well that would translate to your particular purpose though. The main game is a mass battle one, and that is quite different from what I understand you are constructing. The set up for recruiting in Condottiere is a relatively conventional points system (IIRC).

Tribes of Legend is a very different kettle of fish in many ways.

Both may have ideas you could mine. And/or you could wait a little longer for more design discussion. It’s taken longer than I would have liked too, and you’ve been more than patient. Coincidentally, I have most of a post on points systems written that should go up today. So that’s a start.

As to our relative experience, you have one vast advantage over me when it comes to desigining things that you will like : you know you far better than I do πŸ™‚

5. Any comments/summary of game mechanics for the three games?

When I’m a bit more awake, tomorrow πŸ™‚

A few more notes:

The solo game puts you in the large sandals of the greatest hero of your age, and confronts you with a series of labours or tasks. Each labour can be resolved in more than one way, some more easily with guile than brawn, and each requires you to decide how you will approach it and what you will risk to succeed. Each time you play, the labours are undertaken in a different sequence, making it more tricky to work out which of your limited resources you can spend to overcome them, and what needs to be carefully husbanded for later obstacles.

The mass combat and skirmish games are both designed with similar aims. They have easy to remember rules, are very quick to play, avoid long periods of down time for players between moments of action and decision, and these moments frequently offer the players tricky choices. I wanted to make a game where the focus was firmly on what you wanted to do (tactical choice) rather than on how you did it (rules).

In terms of ethos these games are slightly old fashioned, concentrating on telling an interesting story and entertaining the players rather than on producing scrupulously “fair” and balanced games for tournaments. Having said that, the mass battle game still includes a points system for producing reasonably balanced armies.

• Sounds intriguing. Will probably buy it just for reading the rules, but you never know…

6. Matt Gilbert says:

*orders it*
    Sounds like fun

7. Sounds interesting. Not that I need another period or any more figures added to the lead mountain… but it sounds interesting. Yes it does.

8. pancake says:

Now i like the look of this, you can tell me all about it when you next smash my game plan to bits. Nice one jake all the best with this bud.

Smash your game plan to bits? It’s education, Old Bean. Remember how I fixed Incursion for you? It may have looked like I was killing all of your men, but it was an act of kindness πŸ™‚

9. Keith says:

I’m also intrigued, oddly I was thinking only the other week how cool an ancient greek wargame would be. Look forward to hearing more about it and seeing the new range of models.

One of the great things about this project was that the game could use all the hundreds of historical Ancient Greek models Foundry already make and then got to add a whole load more on top. This meant that we didn’t have to do the basics again (though there are extra heroes, and all the gods) so instead of one or two of each creature (satyr, centaur, harpy, etc) there are loads of variants πŸ™‚

10. Pingback: Battle of Greek Legend with Tribes of Legend!

11. Paul says:

Like the sound of the “emphasis” on narrative
    As I said on BoW the problem for me at the moment is not wanting to invest in yet another load of models despite a love of mythology and they would fill a hole.

Proxy with wood elves maybe?

But am still interested in the book and tempted to pre order tbh

There are so many great looking games about at the moment that I think most gamers are in a similar position. Tribes of Legend has 3 games in it though, and the skirmish rules only need 5 figures per player, so perhaps you’d feel you could dabble that much. In either case, using wood elves as proxies rather depends on your chosen side. The females might work well enough for Amazons, but they’d look a bit out of place standing in for centaurs πŸ˜‰

12. Quirkworthy says:

Latest info. Still a bit speculative, but…

Sounds like the rest of the model range for this will start coming out before Christmas. The date of the book release is dependent on when it clears through customs. If all goes smoothly, then possibly also before Christmas πŸ™‚

13. Paul Bradley says:

So foundry are also bringing out some of the mythical greek monsters? The skirmish game it what appeals – what size board do you need?

About four foot square is the size you need for the skirmish game. Note that it is a bit different from most tabletop games in that it is designed to be played with 3 or 4 players as well as 2 (or 5 or 6). In fact, it’s probably more fun with more than 2. Rather than go the route of exact tournament-style balancing, I’ve gone for something that is more a sort of club game or something you might join in at a convention. There are loads of very serious and exacting 2 player skirmish games already, and very little in a light hearted, multi-player vein. I thought I’d have a go at redressing that balance πŸ™‚

You can, of course, play with just 2 players if you like. However, I think the anarchy of the Ancient Myths is better served by the sort of free for all that develops in the multi-player brawls πŸ˜›

I’m not entirely sure what the final incarnation of the range includes, other than most stuff. There wasn’t anything I recall asking about that wasn’t in the range already.