God of Battles is my fantasy mass battle game and was released by Foundry in 2013. It is a tabletop figure game, designed to be played with 28mm fantasy figures such as the vast range produced by Foundry themselves.
Game play focuses on commanding an army rather than the minutiae of what length of spear each individual warrior has. It has simple rules that allow you to concentrate on what you want your army to do, not which sub-paragraph of the rules you need to argue about to do it. However, in my normal style, I have hidden a considerable amount of tactical depth and tricky decision making under this apparent simplicity.
As well as all the basics of building armies and how to move and fight across the battlefield with them, God of Battles contains rules for miracles, weather, scenarios, camps, baggage trains, varying terrain and 10 complete army lists with over 20,000 words of background. It is a complete product in a single volume.
Articles on Quirkworthy
I am happy to discuss any element of the design and game play. So far I’ve written up the following articles. Suggestions for other topics that would interest you should be added to this thread.
- Living FAQ – includes corrections for some layout errors as well as being a place for you to ask any rules questions you might have.
- What’s the Difference? - looks at what makes GoB different from the rest, why it’s the ideal game for me, and whether a game needs support.
- Basing – explains the lack of basing restrictions in GoB and why this is not as exploitable as you might imagine.
- Picking an Army – examines the way the army lists are constructed and how armies are chosen.
- Which Armies to Include? – looks at what the overall aim was for the range of armies and then briefly discusses each one.
- Formed and Loose - discusses formations used in the game and how they impact tactics and army selection.
If you know of a good GoB site, review, article that isn’t listed here, please let me know.
- FaceBook: if you want to chat with other gamers about your battles, your armies or anything else GoB, there is a God of Battles FaceBook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/538792446160791/