2012 – The Year Ahead

Yesterday I looked at what I’d been up to in 2011. Now we’re in a brave new year, what’s on the agenda?

Well 2012 should start with a bang as two games from me come out in January: Dwarf King’s Hold: Ancient Grudge and Tribes of Legend.

Ancient Grudge was a rather tricky project as it opens so many cans of worms all at once: variable warbands, new adventurers, multi-player games, swapping sides for scenarios… It’s all self-inflicted though, so I have nobody to blame but myself. I wanted to make DKH really flexible and offer endless replayability. Perhaps I was overreaching myself. Perhaps, but I don’t think so. It’s ended up with loads more options and potential combinations of new adventurers and match-ups in scenarios than I could possibly play, so you’ll be discovering new territory in your adventures πŸ™‚

Following on from the success of the Dwarf King’s Hold series I’m now working on another board game for Mantic, this time set in their Warpath universe. This “Dwarf King’s Airlock” (as Geoff insists on calling it) will be out early next year. Not sure when though. It’s real name is Project Pandora: Grim Cargo. Expect to see more cool Mantic models, more striking tile art from Tears Of Envy, and more layered tactical challenges from me. But in spaaaace πŸ™‚

Tribes of Legend has been mentioned a few times, and all I can really do is urge you to potter over to Amazon and have go at theirΒ Look Inside feature if you want to see more. Or ask questions here – I’ll answer what I can.

Actually, while you’re flicking through the pages they have on show, you’ll notice that they have the usual adverts at the back for some of their other books. Among the painting guides and detailed military history tomes, you’ll find the page below. It’s an advert for something called God of Battles.

Now what could that be? It seems to be a fantasy tabletop battle game. And it’s written by me. Wot larks πŸ™‚

God of Battles? What’s that? Very exciting, that’s what.

Of course, I’ve been up to loads more stuff behind the scenes, laying the groundwork for future projects. Some of these are getting underway now, and though some are over a year away it’s hard not to get excited at all the possibilities. Starting new major projects is always a grand time. I don’t know how it’ll look or play, and we’re bashing out concepts and defining the look of a whole new universe. It’s also nice to be working with some games industry veterans who bring decades of experience to the whole thing and give me a great deal of confidence in the beast maturing into something really cool. Exciting times indeed.

Plus there’s always the possibility of DKH 4, Pandora 2 and so on. We’ll have to see which bunch of fans badgers Ronnie most πŸ™‚

There are lots of things I want to write about, a stack of stuff that needs reviewing and a free game or two I have half written. But what do you guys want to see? I could guess, but why don’t you tell me instead?

A few random bullets of things I have in mind, in addition to more design theory, more reviews, and hopefully more thought-provoking comments from readers:

• A Dreadfleet project.
  • Review, assembly and painting the Titan Dragon (and probably other dragons too).
  • An army diary for my first proper God of Battles force.
  • At least one (slightly silly) free game.

Oh, and finally, the world is not going to end in 2012. Trust me. A fishman let me in on the secret when he parked his flying saucer in my garden, so I know it’s true. Regardless of what the New Age fringe and National Enquirer might have to say on the matter, the whole idea that Mayan astrologers predicted the end of the world in 2012 is based on a misunderstanding of their calendrical system and mythology. It’s an amusing folk story. Real Mayan history is far more interesting as this historical document shows. And anyway, it was the Olmecs who invented the Long Count…

Now, I hope you’re all recovered from the celebrations because we’ve got a whole load of gaming to do πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Dwarf King's Hold, God of Battles, Project Pandora, Random Thoughts, Tribes of Legend. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to 2012 – The Year Ahead

1. Ben says:

DKH, Project Pandora, Tribes of Legend, God of Battles…. look out for the “student dies of starvation surrounded by games” story in the news lol

The design theory (and practise in the case of the published games) and thoughts on the industry are the things I enjoy reading the most.

2. Filbert says:

Why the Dreadfleet project though? You were fairly critical (and rightly so I thought) of the game and it’s mechanics – I kinda got the impression you wouldn’t be playing it much in the future. Does this indicate a change of heart?

Not at all; I haven’t changed my opinion. What this indicates is a desire to get something like my money’s worth out of a huge, seagoing White Elephant.

• Andrew says:

I’ve been tempted to turn Dreadfleet into something a little closer to Man o’ War myself. Bring in more ships for each race, things like that. The only downside is that would require a copy of Dreadfleet to begin with, so that project’s on indefinite hold. I’ll just stick to Dark Eldarising Necromunda.

Is that was you were meaning by your ‘Dreadfleet project’?

Not really. I think it’s a mistake to try and force DF into being MoW because they start from such different starting places in terms of what you’ve got to work with. MoW gives you access to whole fleets for each race, as you say, and the models in DF are a hodgepodge of unique pirate vessels. I don’t see the point in doing a game that requires you to buy a whole bunch of extra models. You might as well start from scratch without DF’s limitations if you want to redo MoW. Or you could just play Uncharted Seas. Or MoW, come to that. Just because GW don’t support it doesn’t make the game any better or worse than it was before.

3. Ben says:

Aaaah, Man O War. That was a thoroughly entertaining game.

After playing Confrontation (old Necromunda) with Initiative deciding which character could go first, I’ve always found the ‘I go, you go’ mechanic pretty stupid, and now steer towards something else. DKH pleased me with it’s efforts, and Man O War was good. If a tabletop game could somehow bring the tension of Combat Mission, I’d be very happy indeed.

I hear Infinity is doing good things though….

If I remember right, Combat Mission is effectively Squad Leader in a computer game. What aspect of that do you find particularly good?

• Ben says:

Never played Squad Leader, but Combat Mission’s mechanic is both sides plan their moves and give orders, then all orders are carried out in one minute slots simultaneously. Units carry out the orders to the best of their ability, and react to what they find.

Works brilliantly, and I have no idea why more computer games don’t use it.

I think the reason lies in the fact that most players can’t be bothered to do order based computer games. It’s not immediate enough; it takes planning and effort. That and the criticism that it’s not realistic because real life doesn’t pause for you to decide your next set of orders. People use both excuses to perpetuate the dominance of FPS and Warcraft style wargames. In other words, it’s not a sufficiently mainstream market model to get lots of use. Which doesn’t stop it being enjoyable πŸ™‚

4. Thalenchar says:

Looking forward to more stuff here. These past months this site has turned into one of the handful blogs I check daily and I like the different gaming topics here. Looking forward to seeing your projects develop on here and then trying them out with my gaming buddies (when I convince them to try something new, that is). Keep up the good work!

Thanks Thalenchar. Once you’ve convinced your buddies you’ll have to pop back and tell us how you got on. I’ll be putting up Living FAQs for all my games so I can answer any questions folk have.

5. Ben says:

That’s a good point, what are the better blogs about the hobby. I have to say Frontline Gamer ( http://thefrontlinegamer.blogspot.com/ ) and Fighting Fantasist ( http://fightingfantasist.blogspot.com/ ) are damn good, and I believe one of them is responsible for ( http://fuckyeahbritisholdschoolgaming.tumblr.com/ ) which is great!

Any other recommendations?

• Minitrol says:

Yes these are all my compulsion views as well as Jakes blog of course!

I am very much looking forward to Tribes of Legend!

6. billops says:

I guess you’re not deciding this but can we expect a “special price all DKH boxes bundle” from Mantic ?

You’re entirely right that it won’t be my call, but the chaps at Mantic do seem pretty keen on these bundles, so I’d expect to see one. And if they don’t they are very good at responding to customer demand, so just badger them till they do πŸ™‚

7. billops says:

ok then, Im gonna harass them.